Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: vegetables

I'm suffering from a woeful case of blog-block. I'm working up data (it's currently loading, and it takes awhile) so most of what's on my mind is "man, I was really fighting with the interferometer that day, but the other day looks great!" So I present, my top ten favorite vegetables (in no particular order).

  1. Mushrooms. Button, portabello, morel...pretty much all but that stinky block Chinese mushrooms.
  2. Onions. A perfect complement to mushrooms, they can lend a nice raw bite or they can be sweet and buttery, if, you know, you've cooked them in butter.
  3. Zucchini. Raw, dipped in ranch. Pan-fried, dipped in...ranch again, I guess. Added to pasta, rice, marinated in Italian dressing and grilled...it's the best thing about summer, pretty much. Baked in bread, cake. Tia also loves zucchini.
  4. Spinach. Because hey, it's really versatile. Not as much usable iron as they tell you, but fiber is good for you too. Raw on a sandwich, cooked and added to pasta or rice dishes.
  5. Tomatoes. Thick slabs of red, meaty, juicy tomatoes. Raw with or without a little salt or sugar or on a sandwich.
  6. Peas. Not the canned variety, of course. My favorite are sugar snap or snow peas, still in pods. Raw or cooked.
  7. Corn. Because I'm from the Midwest.
And it turned out I can only think of 7 that I would consider my favorites. I guess carrots could get an honorable mention, and maybe cabbage.

On to the top however many that I HATE:
  1. Cauliflower
  2. Green peppers (red are not my favorite either, but they're tolerable)
  3. Celery
  4. Water chestnuts
  5. Cucumbers
Anyway, that's all I got today. Back to work!!

No comments:

Post a Comment