Tuesday, May 17, 2011

She Wore A Bone Necklace!

I need some creative, artsy help.

My awesome surgeon very kindly let me keep my little extra bone. It lived for awhile in my freezer, and when the weather got a little warmer out I moved it into my zucchini planter. I decided to try to clean it using cold maceration...basically, I'll keep it in a jar with some water and let the bacteria do their thing. I change the water every so often, and hopefully soon I'll have a clean bone. Then a little hydrogen peroxide for whitening/germ killing, and I should be good to go. I am a little confused, since on the same instruction sheet it then goes on to tell you to never soak the bone, but I'm hoping that just means 'once everything's off of it.' I'm also confused because I've read that to maintain bone jewelry you should oil it with jojoba or something every so often, but I've also read that you should only handle the bone with clean hands because otherwise it will soak up your oil and discolor/weaken it. I saw one guy put a coat of some kind of polymer on his collected bones (polyacrylate, I think) but I don't know for sure, and I kind of only get one shot at this.

I digress. Assuming that my bone does come out of this ordeal clean, I really really really want to make it into a necklace. Here's the catch: I don't want to do anything to damage it. No holes, no glue. I will at some point have to 'do' the other foot, and if I'm allowed to keep that bone too then I may want to make earrings. I've considered doing (learning how to do) some sort of wire-wrapping. But beyond that I'm a little stuck.

Most examples of wire-wrapping I see are very 'pretty.' I've been told or at least hinted to that my wanting to put my own foot bone in a necklace is a little weird and a little macabre. So I don't want a 'pretty' necklace of this. I want it to be totally bad-ass. My latest idea is to somehow wire-wrap it, then string it on some black hemp-knotted cord (that kind of stuff I'm already not too bad at), and then maybe even add a Mjölnir pendant. I've been a teensy bit 'into' Norse mythology as of late, and no, it's not only because of these guys. Or Thor. Which is an excellent movie, btw. I just like it. I figure I could probably use an Icelandic-style wolfshead hammer that was thought to be worn by both pagan and Christian Vikings, so it isn't being heretical or disrespectful to Norse Neo-Pagans/Heathens:




I guess the downside is that it looks a bit like an inverted cross which may make some folks think I'm satanic or something.

What to do, what to do...thoughts?

In other news, I changed the blog layout. Mostly so I could actually put in real-sized YouTube videos like the one in the previous post without resorting to creative html code that I truly do not understand and usually end up making much, much worse. I don't know that I'm crazy about it, so it may change again.

No comments:

Post a Comment