Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I think the iPad is stupid.

(Let me rephrase...I think the iPad is stupid right now. In a few generations, and a few more years of 3G/4G technology and rate plans and stuff, it'll be very cool. I'll get to that later. Also, I don't know what I'm talking about. These are just amateur thoughts, so nobody get their knickers in a twist.)

I have had my iPod Touch for 2 days. It can do lots of stuff. There's also a lot of stuff it can't do. What I would like it to do is be able to take pictures and be able to get certain Apps for running that I can't due to its lack of GPS. Also, being able to access Interwebs without a wireless thingy would certainly be nice. But since it's not an iPhone and I don't have to pay the monthly fee for it, I'm a bit grumpy but I can deal. And I knew all this when I bought it.

But I really, really like it. I've been iPod-less for a year now (my nano died), and I like being able to listen to music in the lab without using CDs, and I like being able to shuffle within artists or playlists, something I couldn't figure out how to do on my nano. I like the couple of games I've downloaded for free (Hangman and Mastermind, basically), and I like having a calendar that I neither have to be at my computer or even at my desk to access. I like being able to take notes (although my tiny screen-typing abilities are somewhat poor), and I really like having a timer (and music!) for my runs. I like having pictures of Tia readily available to show off (I really could have used that when I visited my grandma), and I like being able to check my email when I'm in the lab so I don't have to waste several minutes waiting for my somewhat ancient work computer to turn on and load.

But you know what my favorite part about it is? It does all that stuff...and I can take it with me. It fits in my purse. It fits in my pocket.

But ok, many will say that the iPad is not meant as a replacement iPod but as a replacement laptop. As it is right now, I can't honestly see how it would be worth $500 + the monthly 3G fee. The best use for it that I can come up with for frequent travelers (see? I'm relating it to the 'Travel' theme of the day!). But here's a problem...who are the most frequent travelers? Business people. And what do I see business people doing on airplanes? It isn't playing games, it isn't reading for pleasure, it's working on presentations and reviewing papers. I've heard that the iPad can upload presentations and the like, but I can't imagine that editing them with a touch-screen would be very intuitive or easy. On a laptop, one can do that, watch movies or TV shows, play games, and listen to music. The only thing it can't really do (and it still kind of can, it's just more difficult) is act as a Kindle. That is the best use for the iPad right now.

Most people who can afford an iPad will already have internet in their home. The monthly fee for the iPad is basically for the internet (right?); why pay for internet twice?

Here's what needs to happen for the iPad to become a viable laptop replacement:
  • Wi-Fi (and any other type of internet access) needs to become a thing of the past. Home computers need to be equipped with a 3/4G thingy and cellular data plans need to be revamped so that I can pay one (low) fee for several machines...my phone, my computer, and my iPad. This way you're only paying for internet ONCE.
  • The iPad needs to support user-friendly presentation, word processor, and spreadsheet software. I personally don't see how easy typing on a flat surface would be, but maybe there could be an optional stand and wireless keypad for it...but then that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
  • They for real need to change the name so it stops sounding like a feminine product. 

see more Epic Fails

2 comments:

  1. The iPad will have both a 3/4G network capability (that you have a monthly fee for) and one that runs on wireless. I want one, but I know for a fact that it's for all the wrong reasons. Which is why I don't own one yet, and probably won't for a few generations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But again, what's the point of it running on wireless? How does that make it any better than a laptop? Part of the draw, in my most humble of opinions, is that, like the iPhone, you can access Interwebs just about anywhere, not just in places with wi-fi.

    ReplyDelete