Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Dip

My mother came home from a house party of one of the 'church ladies' some years ago. My mom generally likes to talk up the places she's been, but she was extra extra excited about this dip that had been served. Apparently everyone there loved the dip so much that the hostess had printed off a bunch of recipe cards for those in attendance.

I will admit, I tend to be skeptical about the things my mom goes on and on about. But she made this dip, and oh man...it was as amazing as she had said. I make it for every occasion that I can think of. The only problem with it is that it really is best served hot, and not every party allows for hot food to be served hot.

Hot Chicken Dip
1 8-oz block of plain cream cheese (can be low or non-fat, if you really want)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup (can also be 'healthier')
1 can of mushrooms (stems and pieces, or fancy sliced)
1 (small) can of chunk chicken breast
1 packet (8 oz maybe?) of slivered almonds
Garlic powder, pepper, salt

On the stove, on low heat, soften the cream cheese until it's stirrable. Don't burn it though. Mix in the can of soup. Add the drained mushrooms. Drain the chicken, and rinse it until it runs mostly clear, and drain really well. Shred the chicken bits with a fork, and add the the dip. Or just pull it apart while it's in the dip. Add slivered almonds and stir. Add garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with crackers (Wheat Thins are my favorite with this) or little bread slices.

I actually don't add any salt at all to it, since I use the regular-sodium soup, and use salty crackers, but whatever floats your boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment